Managed Physical Medicine

MedRisk’s Chief Strategy Officer Ruth Estrich to Moderate Session at WCI’s Work Comp Education Conference

Panelists will present tangible outcomes from workers’ compensation claims after implementing psychosocial disability management programs.

MedRisk’s Chief Strategy Officer Ruth Estrich will moderate “Next Generation Networks: Psychosocial Approaches to Disability Management” at the 70th Annual Workers’ Compensation Educational Conference (WCEC)

WCI“Addressing psychosocial issues is extremely important in disability management,” Estrich said. “Research suggests that pain explains only 10 percent of the variance in disability outcomes. Of the remaining 90 percent, one-third of the healthcare and indemnity costs are attributed to psychosocial factors.”

At the previous year’s conference, panelists Adam Seidner, M.D., MPH, global medical director for Travelers Insurance Company, and George Furlong, senior vice president, Managed Care Program Outcomes Analysis for Sedgwick CMS, joined Estrich to discuss innovative programs that were just entering the marketplace. This year’s session reunites the panel to discuss tangible results from the successful implementation of disability management programs that identify and address psychosocial barriers to recovery from occupational and non-occupational injuries.

The presentation will give workers’ compensation payers and claims managers a first-hand look at how implementing a cognitive-behavioral program can reduce the number of problem claims and help reduce opioid abuse. “The Next Generation Networks in Action: Lessons Learned from Utilizing a Psychosocial Approach to Pain Management” starts at 2:15 p.m. on Aug. 24. WCI’s WCEC runs from August 23 through 26 at the Orlando World Center Marriott in Orlando, and more information is available at http://www.wci360.com.

About MedRisk
MedRisk is the leader in physical rehabilitation solutions for the workers’ compensation industry. Founded in 1994 and based in King of Prussia, Pa., MedRisk is accredited under URAC for utilization management and has successfully completed a SSAE 16 Type II examination. MedRisk’s programs deliver savings and operational efficiencies that are significantly greater than traditional programs. Customers include insurance carriers, self-insured employers, third-party administrators, state funds, and case management companies. To make a referral or obtain more information, visit www.medrisknet.com or call 800-225-9675.